Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Musings

We have now been on the road for over a month. Here are some of our observations:

  1. It is easier to mess up 300 square feet than a whole house. But cleaning it is no more appealing.
  2. Our fifth-wheel already feels like home. We find it very comfortable.
  3. We are already getting rid of “stuff”. We took too much.
  4. Warm is better than cold, but spring is best of all. The fragrance of lilacs on the air is glorious.
  5. I can live without a bathtub! Dave is a shower person, I am a bath person. I felt the hardest thing to give up was going to be the bathtub. But, thankfully, it hasn’t been so bad.
  6. I can deal with a “Navy shower”. When I heard how you had to learn to take a shower using minimal water, I said I could never do that. Well, I can. And it’s not so bad. Dave still prefers going to the bathhouse. I prefer our own shower.
  7. Our refrigerator is really too small.
  8. Satellite TV—lots of channels, nothing worth watching.
  9. Attending a Rally is loads of fun! But, there are many hidden costs—raffle tickets, 50-50 tickets, dinners out with the group, drinks, appetizers to take to campfires.
  10. Not having a washing machine is a pain. Therefore, the more underwear you bring, the better.
  11. Organization is key.
  12. It takes awhile to get used to the noises and creaks a fifth-wheel makes—it is very noisy at night in high winds. I didn’t sleep well for two weeks.
  13. Living on a fixed income and on a budget is a bummer.
  14. David keeps thinking that he has to go home and back to work. Poor guy.
  15. We have been very happy with the quality of our Mobile Suites.
  16. We still would rather go out to a restaurant then cook. See #13.
  17. The sight of fresh plowed fields of fertile soil is beautiful.
  18. We miss Jasmin traveling with us.
  19. David is a party animal. During the Rally he stayed out until 1:30 am partying. I was in bed.
  20. 9:00 am is a nice time to get up. Any earlier is not in our repertoire anymore.
  21. RV people like to exchange stories and give advice. The men like to walk around each other’s rigs and admire (or silently gloat).
  22. It is amazing how we can lose things so easily in such a small space.
  23. We are glad we bought a LP grill with a burner grate for pots. Cooking outside is more fun than inside.
  24. Afternoon naps together are nice.
  25. David is learning to stay up late with me. See #20 and #24.
  26. Don’t leave a picnic table tablecloth on in high winds, or you will have a shredded tablecloth.
  27. David and I haven’t killed each other yet. On the contrary, we are having lots of fun!
  28. It’s fun to surf the net while David is driving down the freeway.
  29. I never have my camera with me when I need it.
  30. So far we are very happy with our decision to full-time!

No comments: