The last few days we have done some new things. First, we have picked up our mail in "General Delivery" at a local post office that our mailing service sent on our instructions. I remember stories my Dad told about riding the rails across the country during the depression and using "General Delivery" to receive mail from his family. Somehow, "General Delivery" sounded mysterious and shady. Apparently the local post office doesn't see much of it--they were really excited to see who was going to pick up it up.
We also had our first and second "social time" at a rally. Monday we had a Cinco de Mayo party and today we had an outdoor social circle.
Dave is standing in the middle of the picture. The circle is between our rig and the one next door. One of the vendors provided the beer and Margaritas and everyone brought appetizers. I made Paula's Reuben Dip and it was a real hit--I finally had to print out a pile of copies of the recipe. Thanks Paula!Filling our prescriptions out of state was our next challenge. We searched online for a CVS and found one about 20 miles away. It went very smoothly. It turned out not to be as difficult as we thought.
The truck needed an oil change and David wanted it to be done at a Ford Dealer. So again, the Internet helped as we searched for a dealer who seemed to carry lots of trucks and might be familiar with a F450. We found one in Cedar Rapids and made an appointment. They seemed very knowledgeable about the 450's on the phone and accommodated our schedule. The service at the dealership was great--courteous and fast. When the truck was done, the service manager said it was the first F450 they worked on!
Tonight we have had another first--one that we have been warned about. Tornadoes are moving across Iowa and moving in our direction. The problem is that when you listen to the news they issue the warnings/watches by county--and we have no idea about which county we are in or which ones are close to us. Again, the Internet to the rescue. I found a federal government site that has all the state maps with counties shown. I printed Iowa and we tracked the storm. Fortunately, it went about 20 miles north of us. All we got was rain. I have bookmarked the site, since I have a feeling this won't be the only time we will have to worry about bad weather. The issue is still under discussion about where would we go--no basement under this rig!
Lastly, we have entered the world of geezers. We have started to use a sun sheild in the front window of the truck.
How we made fun in the past of old people who used them. Now here we are doing it!!! It is humiliating, but very effective. We can't believe the difference it makes in the bright sun we have had. Oh well.Tomorrow the rally officially starts. I will be working the welcome package table, checking everyone in and making sure they paid. I figure that job may help me learn everyone's name. We'll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment